.

.

.

el sabroso oficio / del dulce mirar Góngora – ¡Qué difícil es entender la belleza! Günter Eich

sábado, 11 de febrero de 2017

Mignarda - The Willow Song




"From Mignarda's 2007 release, "My Lord of Oxenford's Maske". MP3s available from iTunes, Naxos' ClassicsOnline; CDs available from Amazon, CD Baby, and Mignarda.com. A performance edition of the music can be found in Shakespeare's Lute Book, available from Mignarda Editions at Mignarda.com.

The Willow Song, as quoted in Shakespeare's "Othello", is famous as Desdemona's lament. The willow, a symbol of forsaken love, was part of the imagery associated with Elizabethan melancholy, and the text to the song even describes in detail the typical posture of a melancholy lover.

Mignarda's performance is based on the version found in the British Library (additional manuscript 15117), and is unique in that the triple-time rhythm is gently pulsed and insistently regular, rather than the free-form rhythmic interpretation typical to performances of this song."



Willow, Willow (Desdemona’s Song)

Verse 1
The poor soul sat sighing by a sycamore tree,
Sing all a green willow;
Her hand on her bosom, her head on her knee,
Sing willow, willow, willow

Verse 2
The fresh streams ran by her, and mumur’d
her moans

Her salt tears fell from her, & soften’d the stones;

Chorus
Sing all a green willow must be my garland.
Let nobody blame him; his scorn I approve,
I call’d my love false love; but what said he then? If I If I If I court moe [more] women,
you’ll couch with moe [more] men. {PAUSE}

Coda
Sing willow, willow, willow {my add.}
Sing willow, willow, willow
Sing willow, willow, willow
Sing willow, willow, willow.


(Letra en shakesongs)



No hay comentarios: